Wednesday, March 2, 2011

another dud of a storm

Once again, the drama queens at the National Weather Service overhyped this storm, just like so many previous ones. The storm that moved through today (well, the actual cold front moved through; the low pressure system is still spinning off the coast of British Columbia) produced wind gusts of around 25 mph (yawn) and light but steady rain totaling just .59" (unimpressive). The forecast was for wind gusts in excess of 40 mph and an inch of rain. I am disappointed because I am a storm lover. I remember when I was growing up back in Indiana, looking towards the western sky during the spring and summer and seeing the grey and black clouds moving closer. I would watch lightning snake its way out of those clouds followed by distant rumbles of thunder. The hair on the back of my neck stood up and my heart would begin to race. That's what I miss. Here in Northern California, I have to be content with the occasional strong winter storm, but we haven't had any good ones as of late. Not that I want property damage or people injured. I just like having my adrenaline pumped by a good, powerful storm. I know I'm weird (my husband keeps telling me this), but I know I'm not alone. Anyway, expect hit or miss garden-variety showers the next 24 hours, followed by a brief break on Friday. Another storm moves in for the weekend, followed by sunny and warmer weather for next week. Here are the details for Chico from the NWS:

Tonight: Showers. Low around 43. Southeast wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Thursday: Showers likely, mainly before 10am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 59. Southeast wind between 7 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Thursday Night: A 30 percent chance of showers before 10pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 42. Southeast wind between 6 and 9 mph.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 63. South southeast wind between 3 and 7 mph.

Friday Night: A 30 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 42. Southeast wind between 8 and 10 mph.

Saturday: A 50 percent chance of rain. Cloudy, with a high near 61.

Saturday Night: Rain. Low around 45. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Sunday: Rain likely. Cloudy, with a high near 59.

Sunday Night: Rain likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 40.

Monday: A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 57.

Monday Night: A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 37.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 58.

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 37.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 62.

No comments:

Post a Comment