Sunday, January 3, 2010

the drought continues

First of all, I'd like to say that living in a city that does not have its own climatological records or reporting station is extremely frustrating. I could say Chico is below average for rainfall for December 2009, but I can't look up the numbers to back up that claim. How can anyone who reads this blog know that what I'm talking about is correct? True, I don't have a degree in meteorology, and this blog is mainly for my enjoyment. Still, I would like to keep as accurate and concise a blog as I can. Sigh. For now, just take my word for it that Chico finished the month of December 2009 below normal for precipitation. In fact, we are below normal for the entire rainy season so far. The rainy season officially began on July 1st, and since then Chico has received a little over 7.7 inches. We should be at around 12" up to today. Looking at the 14 day Accuweather forecast, as well as the seven day National Weather Service forecast, it looks like no rain is going to come our way. The forecast can always change, but right now it's discouraging to see a forecast like this during what is normally our wettest month of the year. So, the two week forecast in one sentence: Dry, with highs around 60 degrees and lows around 40 degrees. That's it for the first half of this month. Oh well, I should look on the bright side- at least I won't be suffering from S.A.D.(Seasonal Affective Disorder). It'll be too sunny and mild for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment