Saturday, February 20, 2010

nuisance showers

There was a very isolated glob of showers that moved through the Chico area this morning. There were some embedded heavy showers that dropped up to an inch of rain in some places in about an hour. It was interesting to me for two reasons: the blob of showers was very isolated (at one point it extended from I-5 to the west and Paradise to the east), and it moved from northwest to southeast on either side of highway 99. I don't believe it was associated with any major frontal system. The next storm that will affect our area is still over the Pacific Ocean currently. The last system that moved through yesterday (which didn't drop a bit of rain- just some slightly overcast skies) has moved off to the east and will give the Intermountain West some beneficial snows the next 36 hours.I don't know- this area of rain was very odd to me. Anyway, hopefully the sun will pop out later today and encourage the non-fruit bearing trees to continue to bloom. Parts of Chico are beautiful right now, with many of the plum, crabapple, almond and pear trees in shades of pink and white right now. Hopefully soon the cherry trees on campus will bloom. I hope to capture their beauty with my digital camera. I took some pics yesterday with my camera phone, but I don't have the equipment to download them onto my laptop. Oh, well- the pics make nice wallpaper on my cell. I'll have to remember to bring my digital camera with me next week and take some pictures before the blooms disappear. The forecast calls for some off and on showers tomorrow and Monday, with a chance of rain Tuesday through next Friday. There are a few storms still forming out in the Pacific, and forecasters don't yet know how potent they will become- hence the vagueness of the forecast. Just keep your umbrella handy over the next week. Highs will be in the upper 50s to lower 60s and lows will be in the low to mid 40s. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment